Word on the Street
6 Steps to a Successful Career Change
Considering a new career? You’re not alone. According to our recent Q1 2022 Staffing Survey, 28% of respondents said they plan on looking for a new job in 2022 and 78% of companies are looking to increase their total staff.
Maybe you’re not really enjoying your career though and don’t know what to do next. How do you decide what direction to go in (or not to go in)? Here are 6 steps to help you navigate the job market and make a successful career change.
- Gauge your current job satisfaction – Get out a piece of paper and write down all of the things you enjoy about your current job and all of the things you don’t like. Are your dissatisfactions related to your daily job duties, the company culture or perhaps the people you work with? Now focus on the things you really enjoy and use that as a starting point for your next career.
- Consider your interests and skills – What do you like to do? Review past successful roles, specific projects you enjoyed, or tasks you were great at. Is your current role aligned with your skills and interests? Are there are careers that might be a better fit?
- Assess alternative careers – Brainstorm ideas for new career options that match your skillset and interests. Talk to friends or family to get their opinions and ideas of what might work for you. If you’re still struggling, our expert career consultants can help you evaluate.
- Set up a job shadow – Know someone that does work you might be interested in? Ask them if you can join them one day to get a better idea if that career path is right for you. Our recruiting experts can also tap into their network to set you up with a job shadow or two to help evaluate your career wants and needs.
- Get a certification or take a class – Perhaps the career you’re most interested in doesn’t completely align with your current skillset. Explore the idea of taking a class or getting a certification to fill in those gaps. Our career consultants can help you navigate the many options out there and determine what would be the most beneficial for the career path you want to take.
- Consider a new job in the same industry – Even though you may want to go down a different career path, that doesn’t mean you need to switch industries entirely. Consider alternative roles within your current industry which would use the industry knowledge you already have e.g. if you are a programmer who no longer wants to program, consider project management or QA/testing.
Accelerate Professional Talent Solutions prides ourselves on being able to use our industry knowledge and expertise to assist you with these 6 steps before making a career change. Contact us today to see how we can help!
NASCAR Xfinity Series Sponsor
Accelerate Professional Talent Solutions is a proud sponsor of Sam Mayer in the 2022 NASCAR Xfinity Series. Sam Mayer is an 18-year old phenom who, after winning the ARCA Menard’s Series Championship in 2019 and 2020, and the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East championship in 2019, burst onto the NASCAR scene winning his first Truck Series race in only his seventh start, at Bristol Motor Speedway in the fall of 2020.
Mayer’s 2019 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East championship made him the youngest driver at the time to ever score a NASCAR championship at the age of 16, three months and eight days.
Upon turning 18 in June of 2021, Mayer joined JR Motorsports to drive the No. 8 Chevrolet in the NASCAR Xfinity Series.
In 2022, Mayer has teamed up with crew chief Taylor Moyer to pilot the No. 1 Chevrolet for JR Motorsports.
Accelerate is a proud sponsor of Sam Mayer as he competes for the NASCAR Xfinity Series championship.
To follow along as Sam races for the championship, find the 2022 schedule here.
April 28th is the official National Superhero Day, but our recruiters are superheroes every day! Their dedication, tenacity, connections, and expertise are all essential to the success of job seekers and companies alike.
Work with our recruiter superheroes to land your dream job. We’re hiring for a variety of positions in manufacturing, engineering, operations, finance & accounting, human resources, and supply chain.
Contact us today to learn more or view our open careers on our website here.